Sunday 14 April 2013

Take ten more...Little Grey Rabbit books

Continuing on from last week; the next 10 books in the Little Grey Rabbit Series. I hope this will prove to be a useful resource for anyone interested in collecting the complete set.


No. 11 Little Grey Rabbit's Birthday first published December 1944, this copy a reprint published in 1965. Little Grey Rabbit's birthday is on Midsummer Day. Squirrel and Hare are planning a wonderful surprise for her. They are busy baking a cake and getting ready for the big day, but Little Grey Rabbit is feeling very left out.... 
No. 12 The speckledy hen first published December 1945, this copy a reprint published in 1961. One morning in spring, when the primroses and cowslips were flowering in the fields, and the violets were blue under the hedge the Speckledy Hen took a walk. She was looking for a house for herself. She wanted to leave the farmyard with all its noisy company and live alone. Where she found her house, how she moved in and what she did there is all in this sweet little book.
No. 13 Little Grey Rabbit to the rescue - a play. First published in 1945, this copy a reprint published in 1970. Squirrel, Hare, Hedgehog, Weasel and little Grey Rabbit appear in this enchanting play written in verse.

No. 14 Little Grey Rabbit and the weasels. First published September 1947, this copy a reprint published in 1965.  Down in the dell in a dark little house lived a family of weasels. One day they stole eggs from Speckledy Hen, and the next day captured Little Grey Rabbit. Is little Grey Rabbit rescued? Read this delightful story to find out.

No. 15 Grey Rabbit and the wandering hedgehog. First published October 1948, this copy a reprint published in 1967. One day when Little Grey Rabbit was out for a walk, she saw a tiny spire of blue smoke twisting from the hedge. She could hear a rattle of sticks, and the chink of a tin can. It was a ragged little fellow, known as Brush the Hedgehog. His adventure with Little Grey Rabbit and how he came by a beautiful coat are described in this book.
No. 16 Little Grey Rabbit makes lace. First published October 1950, this copy a reprint published in 1965.When Hare saw an old woman sitting outside her door making pillow-lace he took lessons and then showed Grey Rabbit how to do it. A tale based on lace-making in Buckinghamshire.
No. 17 Hare and the Easter Eggs. First published September 1952, this copy a reprint published in 1965. It's March, and Hare is feeling as mad as only a March Hare can so off he dashes into the village to see what he can find. He pays a visit to Mrs. Bunting's shop where there are untold delights, jars of sweets, dolls, and wooden horses, but best of all, eggs made of chocolate with sugar flowers and ribbons. Hare decides to surprise his friends on Easter morning. 
No. 18 Little Grey Rabbit's Valentine. First published September 1953, this copy a reprint published in 1962. Squirrel, Hare and Little Grey Rabbit compose special rhymes for each of their friends. Robin the Postman has a busy time delivering them all on Valentine’s Day.

No. 19 Little Grey Rabbit goes to the sea. First published September 1954, this copy a reprint published in 1965. Wise Owl's advice to his friends is "You'll get rid of your sneezes when you feel the sea breezes," so Little Grey Rabbit, Squirrel, Hare and Wise Owl go off to the sea in a gypsy caravan.

No. 20 Hare and Guy Fawkes. First published September 1956, this copy a reprint published in 1967. It was November, and the north wind blew fiercely. It caught hold of the trees and shook them until the leaves fell in showers of gold and red. Hare was making a bonfire, but nobody knew why until Wise Owl began to hoot - Too-whit, too-who whatever you do, remember, remember, the Fifth of November.


Last weeks post featuring the first ten books in the series here

31 comments:

  1. The fact that they actually made one where the rabbit makes lace makes my heart happy.
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and just to make it even better, it's a sweet little book! Thanks for calling in.

      Delete
  2. I was about to say I remember Little Grey Rabbit, but I'm now wondering if I'm actually thinking of Peter Rabbit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki-ann, I guess it could be either/or they are very similar. Thanks for commenting, Barbara.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear....precious as can BE! Now you have me wanting to run upstairs to my little library loft and pull out my Little Gray Rabbit books; I think I shall! I LOVE THE WEASEL ONE!

    Barbara, thank you so very much for coming to visit me. I enjoy very much your blog and must put you on my blog list so I can keep "au courant" with your latest finds!

    Many hugs, Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anita, visiting your lovely blog is certainly no hardship!
      I love that you have a little library loft – it sounds like something out of a children’s story book.
      Hugs back, Barbara.

      Delete
  4. The Little Grey Rabbit books look really sweet :) Thanks for the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hilde, it was my pleasure! Thank you for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet more delightful bunnies, all of them so sweet and as I've commented before I love it that some of them feature hedgehogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Petty, just one more bunny post to go after this one, that will then make a complete set! Thanks so much for commenting. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sigh Barbara, so many in dust jackets. So hard to find here except for the more recent ones.

    Just a gorgeous set and I'm coming in for a browse. White tea no sugar thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! The kettle has just boiled, and the chocolate biscuits are laid out on the best china! What a lovely bookish chin-wag we will have!

      Delete
  9. Hi Barbara - I've just been catching up with your last Little Grey Rabbit post and this one. They are adorable - I haven't seen them before and was also wondering what they remind me of. At first I thought it was Beatrix Potter and Peter Rabbit but now I think its more the Bunnykins bowl I ate my porridge out of when I was small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, they do have a look of the Bunnykins about them. I wonder if that’s where Royal Doulton got the idea from. I bet you had fun ‘finding the bunnies' in your bowls of porridge!

      Delete
    2. I have the bunnies skating on a pond. I used to move my porridge around to make them appear - there is one in a pink dress that was my favourite so I always looked for her first! My sister had the bunnies at the balloon seller - it is a lovely one as well but I always preferred mine. (I still have it my china cabinet after all these years!)

      Delete
    3. Hi Sharon, I just knew you would be looking for those bunnies!

      Delete
  10. So adorable. The lace making one sounds informative but what I want to know is whether Speckledy hen already moved into her new home when the weasel stole the eggs? I love to tease my sister and call her a weasel. I don't think I've seen too many of these in the States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eve, Never mind the eggs – I want to know what happened to Grey Rabbit after the weasels captured her!! I hope your sister doesn't get up to that kind of mischief! :)

      Delete
  11. These are just so amazing. I love the bunny riding on a bird. How fun is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, they are great little covers aren't they? Thanks so much for calling in - did you arrive by bird?

      Delete
  12. What a delightful series!! So many sweet little books for each season of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is certainly one for most occasions and seasons, I like the spring-like ones best there are more of those to come next week. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  13. They are so sweet! The first one with the birthday cake....just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Silvina, I think so too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. You have no idea how much I love book with rabbits illustrations. I don't know this series but the rabbits look so cute and that is more than enough for me. The story could be rubbish, but as long as there are rabbits I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbi, the stories are actually very sweet but the illustrations are the thing that makes these little books so popular.

      Delete
  15. Adorable! So glad to see these, since I have been so curious about these books since you first posted about them. The covers are all great, but my two favorites are "Little Grey Rabbit and the Weasels" (I love the starry sky) and "hare and Guy Fawkes" because it is just amazing looking. Love the sparkles. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Stephanie, you are very welcome! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous little books. They remind me of my primary school which conjures up the smell of wax crayons, chalk, wellington boots and raincoats drying beside a big coke boiler surrounded by a very large fireguard. I appear to be a collector of sorts myself as I am picking up everything from the Janet and John series that I can get my hands on. Beautiful illustrations even if Daddy went out to work and Mummy stayed at home and did the housework and had the tea on the table for Daddy's return from the office!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely little books. They remind me of my primary school days and conjure up memories and smells of chalk, wax crayons, wellingtons and raincoats drying around a coke boiler in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Angie, I think we must have gone to the same school. I remember all those smells and the big old coke boiler!
    The Janet and John books are so full of nostalgia – how could you not collect them? Sorry about the problem with commenting. Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx