Monday 26 September 2011

Book of the week - Alice’s adventures in Wonderland illustrated by David Hall

The outstanding illustrations in this edition of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland are the work of the Hollywood artist and designer David Hall. They were produced at the Walt Disney Studio during the preliminary planning stage of an animated film of Alice in Wonderland.













The film, however, was shelved and Hall’s illustrations were filed away in the Studio archives. When Disney’s film of Alice finally went into production in 1948, Hall’s stunning pictures were not used.


Over 100 of his remarkable paintings and drawings are presented in this book and the illustrations are accompanied by the Alice text that contains all the revisions made by Lewis Carroll shortly before his death. 




David Hall died in 1964 at the age of 58, but now, at last, his impressive visual interpretation of Alice takes its rightful place in the first division of illustrators of one of the world’s most famous stories. 

Published by Methuen Children’s Books in 1986.
ISBN number 0 416 96000 6 

12 comments:

  1. I love this story and noticed your link in Book Blogs. I actually did a review on Alice in Wonderland this week as well. I thought you might find it pretty interesting as it provides some background on Lewis Carroll. Check it out at http://storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com/2011/09/alices-adventures-in-wonderland.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Megan, thanks for calling in and giving me the link I will be taking a look any time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always found these pictures creepy when I was little. Still do a bit! Your blog is lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn’t thought about them like that but now you mention it I suppose they are a bit scary – maybe that’s why Disney decided not to use them. Thank you for your kind comments about the blog, I’m glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad his drawings were shelved, cos I find them breathtaking.

    I guess the watercolour paintings could appear as too realistic for Disney's children-market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them too but if Elizabeth found them creepy maybe other people did as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that his work is being displayed and appreciated. The illustrations are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree it's just a shame he was not around to see the publication of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rabbit is my favorite - the detail, the smile, the eyes. Such wonderful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just hear the rabbit saying "Oh my furry ears and whiskers, look how late it's getting!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the illustrations. Alice in wonderland is one of my favorites. Thanks for visiting our blog. New follower :D -TheUnseelieNerd
    http://bookwhales.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. barbaraannefisher15 February 2012 at 11:07

    Thanks for following, I hope you enjoy your visits here. I love Alice too!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx