Monday 12 September 2011

Book of the week; Pads Paws & Claws


Written by W. P. Pycraft with illustrations by Edwin Noble, Published by Wells Gardner Darton, 1911. The illustrations comprise 32 beautiful tipped-in colour plates plus black and white chapter headings and tail-pieces.  Sixteen chapters each concerning a different animal or animals including the Dormouse, Camel, Gnu, Kangaroo, Bears, the Tiger, Zebras and so on. For me the biggest joy is the beautiful illustrations but as I know very little about Edwin Noble I decided to try a little online research.












There doesn’t seem to be very much information – I found one reference that simply said -

Member of the Royal Academy, Mr. Noble primarily worked as an animal artist and children's illustrator.

The London Transport Museum were more helpful -

Edwin Noble (also known by the name John Edwin Noble), born 1876, died 1941. Designed posters for the Underground Group 1916.
Educated; Lambeth School of Art; the Slade School of Fine Art; Royal Academy School;
Biography:
No biographical details

So if you have more information or know of anywhere I could look I would be delighted to hear from you.


I hope you enjoy the illustrations as much as I do. 


8 comments:

  1. Such beautiful drawings. Too bad not much is known of him. My favorite are those mice with such long legs. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are absolutely wonderful illustrations. I'd love to know more about this artist and anything he produced. Thanks for sharing what information you found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C. Lee
    I’m glad you like them. I would also like to know more about the artist and I’m hoping someone will have more information.

    Donna
    I have no idea what the ‘mice with long legs’ are but your description fits them perfectly. I wonder if Edwin Noble drew them without the benefit of seeing them.

    Thank you both for commenting
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, the paintings are wonderful. I especially enjoyed the ones with the giraffes.

    Found another book by Edwin Noble on GoodReads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7429249-animal-drawing-and-anatomy

    Seems to be his how-to book ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Claudine, what a lovely book. The description mentions that he was an art instructor – and that’s something else I didn’t know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, this reminds me of my first book I still have it. Jerry the Giraffe.
    Ever hear of it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve seen a copy of Gerry the giraffe rhyming stories by June Woodman – is that the one? Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://milfordonsea.blogspot.com/2013/10/did-anyone-know-edwin-noble.html

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx