Thursday 27 October 2011

Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb!

Published in 1968 these Camberwick Green books were produced as spin offs from the children’s animated TV series of the same name.

First aired in January 1966 each episode began with the words;

Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play. But this box can hide a secret inside. Can you guess what is in it today?

The very first episode featured Peter Hazel the Postman emerging from the music box. Over the course of the series the other twelve characters emerged from the same music box.



Finding the books reminded me of watching Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley with my son when he was a little boy. I was surprised to find I could still remember the names of the Trumpton Fire Brigade (Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb!)

Do you remember Micky Murphy the baker, Windy Miller, PC McGarry and Mr Crockett the garage owner? And what about Mr Dagenham the salesman in his red sports car and Mr Robinson the window cleaner?

If you are interested in finding out more a visit to The Trumptonshire website is a good place to start.

The books featured in this post are now sold, but we do have other TV related items here
or browse our entire stock at  March House Books

4 comments:

  1. Well, I did watch it, and can remember Pugh, Pugh, but the rest....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised I could recall so many names – just shows how much time I used to spend watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this was too cute of an idea. I've never heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbaraannefisher28 October 2011 at 10:45

    You can watch on episode with Pugh, Pugh, Barney.... on YouTube at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6YE4PCRNwc

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx