Friday 16 December 2011

Added Value: Things found in books part eighteen

Spanish dancers; embroidered postcard




Sent to Miss Young, Bath, Somerset, England. 3 ptas stamp, sadly I can’t make out the date.  Possibly 1950s?  Message reads – You won’t believe it, its raining, they have not had any now for months, we arrive and hola it rains! From Bettie and George.   

Oh dear, it sounds as though poor old Bettie and George are having a rotten time!

There is a tiny pin-prick hole in the card so I can imagine someone hastily removing it from a pin board to use as an impromptu bookmark.  Was it you Miss Young?

Found tucked inside this copy of the Whiteoak Brothers by Mazo de la Roche 
The Whiteoak Brothers is now sold, thank you for your interest

8 comments:

  1. I love the postcard bookmark. (I recently found out my friends don't like to go out when it rains, too. Why's that? Light rains are lovely ... aren't they?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. barbaraannefisher16 December 2011 at 15:54

    Hi Claudine, I like it too. Do your friends all straighten their hair? Sounds like a daft question - but rain plays havoc with beautifully straightened hair. I love dog walking in the rain, but our last little dog hated the rain and never wanted to go out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun find! I would love to find something like this inside a book. It is always so exciting to imagine the story behind it. It would be thrilling if someone wrote in and had been the sender or the receiver of the postcard!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbaraannefisher17 December 2011 at 14:57

    Wouldn’t that be wonderful! I would love to be contacted by the original owner so that I could return it. I always wonder if people regret loosing things like this – I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the days when we would send postcards to friends and family while traveling. Such fun to receive one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. barbaraannefisher17 December 2011 at 16:54

    We still send postcards to close family and friends and enjoy finding the right card for the right person, scenic views for Terry’s parents and a ‘funny one’ for my sister and brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful find! Love reading these posts of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. barbaraannefisher19 December 2011 at 09:24

    Thank you Megan glad you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx